History

Photo: Southwest HarborThe Captain Nathan Clark House was built in 1814 by our ancestors, seven generations ago. This was a hardworking boating family who lived off the land and the sea from Maine to the Caribbean. Captain Nathan Clark was a sea captain who ran a grand passenger ferry from Portland to Southwest Harbor a century ago. His family's house has been added onto twice and now has 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 living rooms, and 2 dining rooms. The original historical value of this house has been preserved with wide-planked wood floors, original wainscoting, and walls milled from trees in the local area. Colonial wood trim doors, and decorations make this a very relaxing family home. The house is located across the street from Southwest Harbor. (Click photo to enlarge.)

The additional wing, Rebecca’s Retreat, was added in the 1970s and contains elements that date back 7 generations. In the living/dining room the walls are paneled with warm antique barn board, that were original barn boards from the Carroll Family Farm which is now part of Acadia National Park. The Carroll Farm family is located off Rt. 102N just after Top of The Hill Restaurant on the right hand side.